The Orthodontic Society of Ireland (OSI) is the organisation that promotes best practice in orthodontics in Ireland. It was founded in 1990 to promote Orthodontics through education and research. As part of that mission, the OSI campaigned for the establishment of an Irish Specialist Register in Orthodontics, which was established by the Dental Council in 2000
Irish Dental Association
The Irish Dental Association was formed in 1922 and currently represents over 80% of dentists registered in Ireland. The Association works to promote the advancement of the interests of the dental profession and promoting the well-being of our country’s population through the attainment of optimum oral health.
Dental Council Ireland
An Chomhairle Fiacloireachta, the Dental Council, was established under the provisions of the Dentists Act 1985 (Irish Statute Book). Its general concern is to promote high standards of professional education and professional conduct among dentists
The main functions assigned to the Council include the maintenance and publication of a Register of Dental Specialists (including Orthodontists) and to provide for the registration and the retention of dentists names in these registers.
Are you undergoing orthodontic treatment? Are you being treated by a specialist orthodontist? Check the Specialist Register.
World Federation of Orthodontists
The purpose of the WFO is to advance the art and science of Orthodontics throughout the world. Its aims include:
- encourage high standards in orthodontics throughout the world
- promote orthodontic research
- disseminate scientific information
- promote desirable standards of training and certification for orthodontists
European Orthodontic Society
The European Orthodontic Society (EOS) was formed in 1907. Its aim is to advance all aspects of orthodontics and its relations with the collateral arts and sciences for the public benefit.
European Federation for Orthodontic Specialists and Associations
The European Federation for Orthodontic Specialists and Associations (EFOSA) was founded in 1977, as an umbrella organization for European national associations of Orthodontic specialists.The aims of EFOSA include uniting associations of Orthodontic specialists with a view to:
- providing and promoting orthodontic treatment of the highest quality in all countries of Europe
- improving the contents and quality of education for orthodontic specialists
- standardizing European examinations at the end of specialist training programs in orthodontics
Foederatio Europea Orthodontica
The purpose of the Foederatio Europea Orthodontica (FEO), a non-profit making organisation, is the promotion of Orthodontics and Dento-facial orthopaedics in Europe by:
- harmonising programs and training sessions
- encouraging research
- improving understanding and cooperation between the constituent associations